Hero’s Journey Step #10: The Road Back
“It’s a funny thing coming home. Nothing changes. Everything looks the same, feel the same, even smells the same. Then you realize what’s changed is you” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
As the clock rolls into the 10th hour and the Hero’s Journey truly begins full circle, our hero(ine) begins the trek back home, to their ordinary world. With each step, there’s a review of much of what came before:
- The jolting “Call to Adventure“
- Wisdom gained from the Mentor
- Frustrating Tests, supportive Allies and challenging Enemies
- Darkness of the Ordeal
- Celebration of the the Reward
As all steps along the journey’s path are reviewed, the hero arrives back to his/her home. The home is in it’s original location with the same lay out, furniture, contents & family/friends. But our hero(ine) sees it all through new eyes, experiences it with a new heart. The journey has transformed our hero(ine), from the inside out, and nothing will be as it was before.
Each one of us experiences a number of these transformations in our lives. Many times they begin with a loss, as it did for me years ago. The loss propelled me into my own heroine’s journey and left me so transformed that all aspects of my life shifted into a new reality. It was shocking how quickly my outer world morphed into the realization of some of my most precious dreams, all because I was willing to “go to the mat” with all the pain & fears that hid in that dark, inner cave. Scary but so, so worth it.
If you are heading back home after a transformative journey of your own, keep these few tips in mind:
- Take deep breaths and really drink in the new perspective you have on all you experience. With each breath, you honor the trials and successes of the journey you just completed.
- Let those around you in on your journey, so they can understand and feel a part of the process you went through. Tell them about your challenges, struggles, reward and, mostly, the new perspective you have gained. Just make sure they can hear it without wanting you to “change back.”
- Be open to a new direction in any aspect of your life as the new perspective will influence what matters most to you.
Be light, my friends!