Hero’s Journey Step #6: Tests, Allies and Enemies
The hero learns the rules of his/her new world. During this time, (s)he endures tests of strength of will, meets friends, and comes face to face with foes.
This last weekend I had the honor, once again, to lead a committed group of courageous heroes out of their old worlds and into the new. With an ally in Co-Mentor, Vanessa Elle, we steadily guided their process by facilitating new understandings, insights, perceptions, breakdowns, breakthroughs and everything in between. In our experience, the journey back to the essential self requires a trek through the internal jungle of experiences that taught us to shut down who we truly are. It’s rarely a journey we volunteer for and most believe it’s not a necessary one. That’s why it takes a hero, who can hold to the wisdom of Rumi:
“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to the seek the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. It is not necessary to seek for what is true, but it is necessary to seek for what is false.”
In this quest to sort and transmute those barriers, we will experience tests, encounter enemies and need allies. As I’m writing this, I’m guessing that each of you, as well as others you know, are in some phase of navigating a new “world”. Please remember these 3 things, all the way through this new terrain:
2) Find and lean on allies, those who support and encourage your efforts to keep moving through and forward
3) Identify those who would hold you back and/or sabotage your movement through and forward. Keep your distance.
And, always remember that the spark of who you truly are is there, underneath the rubble.
- San Diego: 3/25 & 3/26, Linda O’Keefe, Mentor and Jen Holliday
- Denver: 4/08 & 4/09, DesiRae Kraft & Linda O’Keefe, Mentors
- San Diego: 5/05-5/07 Linda O’Keefe